In each of the following sentences a group of words has been underlined. Choose from the alternatives lettered
A to D the one that best explains the underlined group of words.
21. Whenever Kweku goes to Kumasi, he puts up with his uncle. This means that Kweku ……….
B. stays with
C. converses with
22. I glanced over the papers as I walked home. This means that I quickly ……….the papers.
23. The woman entered the room to find her daughter with her eyes glued to the television. This means that
her daughter was …………the television.
A. smiling at
C. intently watching
24. Kojo was dragged to the farm like a lamb to the slaughter. This means that Kojo was dragged …….
A. with difficulty
B. without resistance
C. with a lamb on his shoulder
D. without anything on him
25. The bully was ordered to leave his younger brother alone. This means that the bully was told …….
A. not to accompany him anywhere B. to accompany him everywhere C. not to disturb him
D. to teach him well
From the list of words lettered A to D, choose the one that is most nearly opposite in meaning to the word underlined in each sentence
26. Some of the guests at the party were rude.
27. The lawyer supported his argument with copious evidence.
28. If you want to be believed, you must be objective.
29. In all boarding schools, going out in the night is prohibited.
30. The surest way to avoid defeat is to strive for …….