11. The word relieve in the passage means…….
A. lessen his suffering
B. show his new clothes
C. play happily
D. sing melodiously
Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one which is nearest in meaning to the underlined word in
12. The team‟s performance made the coach very anxious.
B. angry C. jealous D. worried
13. The Disciplinary Committee was asked to investigate the theft.
B. go into
D. look for
14. The class teacher could not bear the noise.
C. take in
D. make out
15. Due to anger the pupil spoke to the teacher in an impolite way.
B. loud C. brave D. rude
16. Florence Nightingale was a renowned nurse.
B. humble C. brave D. famous
In each of the following sentences a group of words has been underlined. Choose from the alternatives lettered
A to D the one that best explains the underlined words.
17. The news of the inspector‟s visit kept the pupils on their toes. This means the pupils
A. stood up B. ran away C. were alert
D. were fatigued
18. During my preparation for the examination, I left no stone unturned. This means that I A. found it difficult to study
B. studied thoroughly
C. was sure to pass
D. took all the stones away.
19. For the sake of peace Kofi gave in to his friend after their bitter quarrel. This means that Kofi
A. Kofi accepted defeat
B. Kofi avoided his friend
C. Kofi‟s friend abandoned him
D. Kofi‟s friend was defeated.
20. John was far ahead of our class but we soon caught up with him.
This means that
A. John was the tallest in the class
B. John kept himself away from the class
C. we soon found John in front of us.
D. we reached the same level with John