1. A mixtureof sand and common saltcould be separated by
A. filtration and distillation
B. dissolution and evaporation
C. dissolution, sedimentation and evaporation
D. dissolution, filtration andevaporation
E. sedimentation and filtration
2. What structurelinks themouth to thestomach
B. Duodenum C. Oesophagus D. Rumen
3. Which ofthe following organisms causes bilharziasis?
A. Blood fluke? B. Bloodworm C. Liver fluke D. Roundworm E. Tapeworm
4. Which ofthe following processes is achemicalchange?
A. Digestion ofstarch bysaliva
B. Meltingof wax
C. Dissolution ofsugar in water
E. Evaporation ofseawater
5. An atomhas 5 protons and 5 neutrons in its nucleus. Howmanyelectronsarepresent in the atom?
6. Which ofthe followingfeatures in plants areusedfordefence?
B. Leaf spines
7. The abilityof birds to flydepends on
A. Their hollow hones only
B. Their flightfeathers only
C. Their feathers coveringtheir bodies
D. Their hollow bones andflightfeathers
E. Their light bodies only
8. Gases aremorecompressiblethan solids because: A. Solids haveharder surfaces
B. There arewider spaces betweengas molecules
C. Gases have fixed volumes
D. Theparticles of solids are regularlyarranged
E. Themolecules ofgases arerandomlyarranged
9. Which ofthe followingstatements about machines is/aretrue?
I. The commonest and simplest of allmachines is thelever
II. The efficiencyof amachine is the ratio of work outputto work input
III. The efficiencyof amachine is usuallyless than one
IV. Machines makeworking much easierand convenient
B. I andIIonly
C. I andIIIonly
E. I,II,III andIV
10. Which ofthe following substances reacts with ammoniumchlorideto produce ammoniagas?
A. Calcium hydroxide
B. Calcium chloride C. Calcium carbonate D. Calcium sulphate E. Calcium nitrate
11. Plastic materials maybeusedto makethe handles of cookingutensils because theyare
B. Poor conductors ofheat
D. Easyto wash
E. Not poisonous
12. Which ofthe following substances willturn red litmus paper blue?
C. Sulphuric acid
13. Theheat of thesun reaches the earth through
D. both radiation and conduction
E. both radiation and convection
14. Themineral saltsin dead organisms become availableto thesoil through
15. A rayof light is incident at an angle of30° to thesurfaceof aplanemirror.Calculate the angle of reflection.
A. 30° B. 60° C. 90° D. 120° E. 180°
16. Saltcould be obtained from seawater by
B. condensation C. decantation D. distillation
17. A fertilised ovum is known as
A. agamete B. azygote C. oocyte
D. an ovary
E. a foetus
18. Thesmallest planet known in the solarsystem is
A. Earth B. Jupiter C. Mars
19. Theorganicconstituent of the soil is
C. Mineral salts D. Rock particles E. Water
20. A car head lamp lights up when connected to abattery. What typeofenergyis obtained from the battery?
A. Chemical energy B. Electrical energy C. Heat energy
D. Light energy
E. Potential energy
21. Which ofthe following statements about bacteriais true?
I. All infections are causedbybacteria II. Mostbacteria areharmless to man III. Sterilisation does not killbacteria
A. Ionly B. IIonly C. IIIonly
E. I andIIonly
22. Which ofthe following organisms isaparasiteon plants?
C. Capsid D. Red ant E. Tick
23. Themain parts ofthecentral nervous system arethe
A. brain and nerves
B. spinal cord and the nerves
C. brain and thespinal cord
D. brain, thenerves andthespinal cord
E. brain, theeyes, the ears and the nerves
24. Which ofthe following pairs ofdiseases can bespread easilywhen food isexposedto houseflies?
A. Cholera and GuineaWorm
B. Dysenteryand Malaria
D. Malaria and tuberculosis
25. Which ofthe followingactivities is a modeof transmission ofAIDS?
A. Shakinghands with an infected person
B. Eatingwith an infected person
C. Havingsexwith an infected person
D. Sharingclotheswith an infected person
E. Sleepingin thesameroom with an infected person
26. The eclipse of themoon occurs when the
A. moon and thesun areinastraight line B. earth and the sunareinastraight line C. sun is between the earthand the moon D. earth is between the sunand the moon
E. moon comes between thesun and the earth
27. Spittingin public is abad social habitbecauseit
A. makes the environment humid
B. reduces the amountof airin thebody
C. reduces the amountof waterin thebody
D. releases disease-causing organisms into the environment
E. reduces the amountof saliva in the mouth
28. Themalesexcells in the flower arefound in the
D. pollen grains
29. Which ofthe following substances isapollutant?
E. Treated Waste
30. Digestion ofprotein starts in the
D. small intestine
31. Thesun, theheavenlybodies andthe planets form the
C. milkyway D. solarsystem E. universe
32. Which ofthe following practicesencourages soilerosion?
A. Plantingtrees on baresoil
B. Clearingtreesand slopes
D. Ploughingacross slopes
33. Which ofthe following metals is an alloy?
B. Brass C. Copper D. Iron
A. Ionly B. IIonly C. IIIonly
D. I andIIonly
35. Which ofthe following practiceswilldestroythebreeding grounds of mosquitoes?
A. Sleepingin mosquito nets B. Sprayingwith insecticides C. Usinginsectrepellent
D. Introducingfish into ponds
36. A plasticpen on rubbing in thehair attracts piecesof paper. What forceis responsible forthe attraction?
A. Electrostatic force
B. Frictional force
C. Gravitational force
D. Magnetic force
E. Centripetal force
37. When carbondioxide is passed through lime water
A. the limewaterbecomeswarm
B. the limewaterturns milky
C. the limewaterremains clear
D. lime is produced
E. the limewaterdecomposes
38. Which ofthe following solids melts easilyonexposureto sunlight?
A. Animal fat B. Candle wax C. Plastics
39. Which ofthe following structures regulatethe amountof light that entersthe eye?
A. Choroid B. Cornea C. Iris
40. Leguminous crops suchas beans arecultivated to
A. add humus to thesoil
B. increasethe nitratecontents of soils
C. add nitrogen to thesoil
D. makethe soil loamy
E. add protein to thesoil
CLICK TO VIEW ANSWERS TO OBJECTIVES
1. D. dissolution, filtration andevaporation
Digestion ofstarch bysaliva
Their hollow bones andflight feathers
There arewider spaces betweengas molecules
Poor conductors ofheat
20. B. Electrical energy
brain and thespinal cord
Havingsexwith an infected person
earth is between the sunand the moon
releases disease-causing organisms into the environment
the limewaterturns milky
add nitrogen to thesoil