BECE Past Questions & Answers – 1991 (SCIENCE)
1. Thedigestion of carbohydrates starts in the
2. Photosynthesisin plants requires chlorophyll, sunlight, waterand
3. Which ofthe following objects is a goodconductorof heat?
A. Wood B. Rubber C. Copper D. Plastic E. Wool
4. What is the work donewhen a forceof 2.5N moves throughadistanceof 4 m?
A. 0.6 J B. 1.5 J C. 1.6 J D. 6.5 J E. 10.0 J
5. Theperson who studiesthe weather is
B. aphysician C. an astronaut D. an astrologer E. meteorologist
6. A child suffering fromKwashiorkorlacks
B. fats and oils
D. mineral salts
7. Which ofthe following substances can dissolve almost all solutes?
A. Kerosene B. Palmoil C. Water
8. All of the followingmethods areusedto preservefood in our homes except
B. salting C. boiling D. canning E. drying
9. The chemical symbolfor Potassium is
A. Fe B. K C. P D. Pb E. Zn
10. Thepart ofthe bananaplant used in reproductionis called
A. sucker B. rhizome C. stem
11. Theprocess bywhich kerosene rises up thewick in alantern is
A. evaporation B. conduction C. diffusion
12. Which ofthe following animals can liveboth in water and on land?
E. Mud fish
13. A bar magnetattracts allthe followingobjects except
B. pair ofscissors
14. When an object moves from rough surfaceonto asmooth one with the same energy, its speed
C. remains thesame
D. becomes zero
E. cannot be determined
15. Howmanystates of matterdo wehave?
16. All of the following animals layeggsexcept
B. lizard C. rabbit D. toad
17. Which oftheseis not a sense organ?
A. Eye B. Ear C. Nose D. Skin
18. Which ofthe following processes is used to separate insoluble solids from liquids?
A. Distillation B. Sublimation C. Filtration
19. An organismlivingon anotherorganismand causingharm to it is referredto as a
B. parasite C. producer D. consumer E. vector
20. What sickness areyou likelyto be suffering fromwhenyou haveblood inyoururine?
A. Typhoid B. Syphilis C. Cholera D. Bilharzia E. Ulcer
21. Which oftheseis a vegetable crop?
C. Cabbage D. Cassava E. Mango
22. Insects canwalk on thesurfaceof waterbecauseof
A. diffusion B. capillarity C. viscosity D. friction
23. When asubstanceis madeup ofthe same kind ofatoms itis called
B. a compound C. an element D. asolution
24. What do human beingsobtain from food to enable them work?
C. Vitamins D. Proteins E. Minerals
25. Which oftheseinstruments is used in measuring humidity?
A. Hygrometer B. Thermometer C. Photometer
26. Thepart ofthe plant which is found in the soil is the
A. flower B. stem C. leaf
27. When salt is put into soups, it
B. sublimes C. dissolves D. evaporates E. expands
28. The complete development of ahuman babyin thewomb normallytakes
C. seven months
D. nine months
E. eleven months
29. Thewashingawayof thetop soilbyrunningwater is called
C. plantation D. weathering E. irrigation
30. All of the following are solids except
31. Theprocess bywhich livingthings increasein numberis referred to as
32. Which ofthe following soiltypes can hold theleast amount of water?
A. Loam B. Clay C. Silt
33. When apieceofcandle is heated, it changes from
A. liquid to gas
B. liquid to flame C. solid to flame D. solid to liquid E. solid to gas
34. Which ofthe following metals is used formakingroofingsheets?
35. What is the name ofthefinal product of protein digestion?
A. Glucose B. Fattyacid C. Amino acid D. Glycerol
36. Thelion is atypical exampleof
B. a carnivore C. an omnivore D. aherbivore E. aparasite
37. A uniform mixtureof two or moremetals is called
B. a colloid
C. a compound D. asuspension E. an alloy
38. Which ofthe following activities illustrates distillation?
A. Preparation ofsoup
B. Preparation ofakpeteshie
C. Tappingof palmwine D. Preparation ofstarch E. Freezingof water
39. Thehatchingof eggs into chicken depends on constant supplyof
40. A fertilized ovule results in the formation of
A. an ovary
B. astyle C. apistil D. astigma
E. an embryo
CLICK TO VIEW ANSWERS TO OBJECTIVES
SCIENCESectionA SOLUTIONS OBJECTIVETEST
1. A. mouth
19. B. parasite
solid to liquid