ENGLISH LANGUAGE 1
LEXIS AND STRUCTURE
From the alternatives lettered A to D, choose the one which most suitably completes each sentence
1. The jury acquitted the man …………murder.
B. of C. on D. with
2. Ama‟s essay is superior ……………that of Adzo.
A. from B. over C. than D. to
4. I cannot tell you …………
A. what about the story is B. what about is the story C. what is the story about D. what the story is about
5. That troublesome friend of ………is here again.
A. he B. him C. his
6. I told you to leave my office, …….I?
A. aren‟t B. didn‟t C. don‟t D. wasn‟t
7. Kofi travelled five days ……….
B. hence C. now D. since
8. Kwame‟s uncle, with his three friends, ………coming home tomorrow.
D. would be
9. I am afraid I cannot make you ……….
A. in B. on C. out D. up
10. The plane takes ……….at noon.
B. of C. off D. to
11. Please, can I have ………….salt in my soup?
A. little more B. a few more C. a little more D. few more
12. I wish I …………my friend next week.
A. can visit
B. am visiting
C. shall visit
D. could visit
13. By September 2007, I …………….school for nine years.
A. had attended
B. have attended
C. have been attending
D. shall have attended
14. ……………….Aso runs short of money, what would she do?
B. In case C. Should D. Were
15. Human beings will not live forever, ………………?
A. will they
B. isn‟t it
C. does it
D. shall they
16. I saw Esi ……………a new pair of shoes.
B. buy C. buys D. to buy
17. Let us have a cup of tea, ……………?
A. do we
B. shall we
C. should we
D. would we
Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one which is nearest in meaning to the underlined word in
18. The headteacher‟s arrival in the classroom was sudden.
19. It is rude to talk loudly in the presence of elderly people.
A. impolite B. incorrect C. improper D. unwise
20. The pupils grumbled about the assignment.
21. The victim could not identify the thief.
22. Armed robbery is a very risky undertaking.
In each of the following sentences a group of words has been underlined. Choose from the alternatives lettered
A to D the one that best explains the underlined group of words.
23. For all his brilliance, Kofi could not solve the problem. This means that Kofi failed to solve the problem
A. as he was clever enough
B. even though he was clever
C. as he was too clever
D. for he was still clever
24. The manager‟s decision on the matter is cut and dried. This means that the manager‟s decision is
25. Abla made an ass of herself at the party. This means that Abla behaved
26. In spite of his boasting, Mensah proved to a chicken-hearted fellow. This means that Mensah was
B. mean C. stupid D. weak
27. Efua can always talk her way out of trouble. This means that Efua
A. is troublesome
B. can defend herself
C. can avoid trouble
D. is talkative
From the list of words lettered A to D, choose the one that is most nearly opposite in meaning to the word underlined in each sentence
28. My friends welcomed my suggestion.
A. changed B. discussed C. disliked D. rejected
29. Unlike his sister, Ackah is stingy.
A. friendly B. generous C. selfless
30. Serwa‟s dress was decent.
31. It is compulsory for all pupils to be in school uniform for the ceremony.
32. Aminata is boastful about her beauty.
A. careless B. humble C. modest
33. A metaphor achieves the same effect as a/an ……………
A. alliteration B. metonymy C. paradox
34. One of the following gives a clue to a character‟s nature:
A. what he thinks
B. how he feels
C. what he says
D. how he moves about
Read the following extract carefully and answer Questions 35 and 36
The fair breeze blew; the white foam flew, The furrow followed free;
We were the first that burst
Into the silent sea
35. The dominant sound device used in the extract is
36. The device in the extract helps to express the
A. silence of the sea
B. smoothness of the movement
C. whiteness of the foam
D. fairness of the weather
37. A good novel or play both entertains and
A. condemns B. preaches C. teaches
38. A character that develops in a play or novel in the course of the work is known as
39. Which of the following best help(s) to develop the plot of a novel or play?
B. Literary devices
40. A lyric is usually fairly short and
A. tells a short story
B. praises a dead person
C. expresses thoughts and feelings
D. is sung to send a child to sleep
CLICK TO VIEW ANSWERS TO OBJECTIVES
ENGLISH LANGUAGE 1
1. B. of
2. D. to
3. D. were
4. D. what the story is about
5. C. his
6. B. didn‟t
7. A. ago
8. B. is
9. C. out
10. C. off
11. C. a little more
12. D. could visit
13. A. had attended
14. A. If
15. A. will they
16. B. buy
17. B. shall we
18. C. unexpected
19. A. impolite
20. B. complained
21. D. recognize
even though he was clever
can defend herself
what he thinks
smoothness of the movement
expresses thoughts and feelings