21. The students complained that the rules were too rigid.
22. The new headmaster met the staff and made his maiden speech.
In each of the following sentences a group of words has been underlined. Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one that best explains the underlined group of words.
23. The student was caught red-handed breaking the louvers. This means that the student was caught
A. while committing the offence
B. with blood on his hands
C. before the act
D. after the act
24. We knew it was a cock and bull story. This means that the story was
A. difficult to believe
B. about a cock and a bull
25. The thieves were armed to the teeth when they entered the house. This means that the thieves were
A. well trained
C. fully armed
26. Mr. Abban instructed his wife to keep an eye on their daughter. This means that their daughter should be
C. controlled properly
D. watched closely
27. The president hit the nail on the head when he complained that most of the ministers were corrupt.
A. the exact truth
B. in detail
From the list of words lettered A to D, choose the one that is most nearly opposite in meaning to the word underlined in each sentence.
28. The man was disgraced in public.
29. Akosua accepted the offer.
30. Food is abundant in the rural areas.
31. Doctors have withdrawn their services.
32. By our constitution, it is obligatory to vote.
From the list of words lettered A to D, choose the one that correctly answers the questions or completes the sentence.
33. Which of the following is not an example of oral literature?
34. The dominant idea in a literary work constitutes its …………..
35. The expression “The world is a stage.” is an example of ……….
36. A genre is ……………..
A. any kind of poetry
B. another name for prose
C. a subdivision of drama
D. any of the three forms of literature
Read the following extract carefully and answer questions 37 and 38
Sweet sensation rises in pressure
Tiny legs kick with pleasure
Sleep comes gently and strong
Sleep whispers softly and strong
37. The device used in “Sleep comes gently and strong” is ……………
38. The rhyme scheme of the stanza is ………….
Read the following extract carefully and answer questions 39 and 40
The fair breeze blew; the white foam flew,
The furrow followed free;
We were the first that burst
Into the silent sea.
39. The main sound device used in the stanza is …………..
40. The device helps to express …………….
A. the silence of the sea
B. the whiteness of the foam
C. the fairness of the weather
D. the smoothness of the movement CLICK TO VIEW ANSWERS TO OBJECTIVES
ENGLISH LANGUAGE 1
1. B. to
2. C. commanders-in-chief
3. D. against
4. A. Having
5. B. costs
6. D. ours
7. C. returns
8. B. on
9. D. will have left
10. C. too
11. D. don’t you
12. C. yours
13. A. than
14. C. each other
15. C. talking
16. D. have been
17. A. so
18. C. interfere
19. D. rectified
20. C. excellent
21. C. strict
22. A. first
23. A. while committing the offence
24. A. false
25. C. fully armed
26. D. watched closely
27. A. the exact truth
28. B. honoured
29. B. declined
30. A. scarce
31. C. offered
32. C. optional
33. D. melodrama
34. B. theme
35. D. metaphor
36. D. any of the three forms of literature
37. D. personification
38. C. aabb
39. C. alliteration
40. D the smoothness of the movement