21. The attitude of the gateman was very hostile.
22. It was not his intention to hurt his younger brother.
In each of the following sentences a group of words has been underlined. Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one that best explains the underlined group of words.
23. Ibrahim registered for the course at the eleventh hour.
This means that Ibrahim registered
A. at eleven o’clock
B. a few hours before closing time
C. during eleven hours of registration
D. when it was almost too late
24. Bob lives within a stone’s throw of the Jubilee Park.
This means that Bob
A. travels on a stony road
B. lives in a hut in the park
C. lives very close to the park
D. often throws stone at the park
25. When James heard the sound of gun-shots, his hair stood on end.
This means that James
A. was worried
B. started crying
C. was frightened
D. became inactive
26. Mary has gone to cheer up her friend
This means that Mary has gone to
A. shout at her
B. give her gifts
C. tell her stories
D. make her happy
27. The teacher’s abrupt question threw the pupil off balance.
This means that the pupil was
From the list of words lettered A to D, choose the one that is most nearly opposite in meaning to the word underlined in each sentence.
28. While the majority voted for a change, the …………were against any change.
29. Imported rice is expensive these days
30. The student was condemned for his poor work