Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one which is nearest in meaning to the underlined word in
11. Mary‟s mother is confident that her daughter will win a prize.
12. The troops retreated when they were attacked.
A. escaped B. scattered C. fought
13. Our teacher advised us to be courteous always.
14. All latecomers were promptly punished.
A. immediately B. mercilessly C. roughly
15. We should all learn to restrain our anger.
A. avoid B. control C. apply
In each of the following sentences a group of words has been underlined. Choose from the alternatives lettered
A to D the one that best explains the underlined words.
16. The two brothers are always quarrelling; they never see eye to eye. This means they do not ……….each
A. agree with
B. admire C. respect D. trust
17. You must be off your head if you really believe that the moon is a huge cake. This means that you must be
18. Amale does not earn much, but she has some money put by. This means Amale has some money
A. to live on
B. for charity
C. saved for the future
D. to pay her children‟s fees
19. Several passengers were killed in the accident, but the driver escaped by the skin of his teeth. This means that the driver
A. missed death narrowly
B. lost all his teeth
C. ran into the bush
D. had only a scratch on his skin
20. When the armed robbers could no longer fight the police, they gave in. This means the armed robbers
C. shot themselves
D. cried for help