Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one which is nearest in meaning to the underlined word in
11. Senyo tried in vain to stop his friend from stealing the kitten.
12. With hard work we can overcome any problem.
B. avoid C. stop D. solve
13. Th e meal is delicious.
14. The audience applauded the actors at the end of the play.
15. Jasper lamented the loss of his pet.
In each of the following sentences a group of words has been underlined. Choose from the alternatives lettered
A to D the one that best explains the underlined words.
16. John is always light-hearted in spite of his problems. This means that in spite of his problems John is always
17. After that accident Ayorkor has really gone through the mill. This means Ayorkor has
A. changed her lifestyle
B. become wiser
C. suffered a lot
D. received some money
18. Moro felt very much at home at his friends‟s house. This means that Moro
A. knew his friend‟s house
B. was comfortable and relaxed
C. was disappointed
D. lived with his friend.
19. The students were all ears during the programme. This means that the students
A. answered questions. B. looked closely.
C. closed their ears. D. listened intently
20. It took our new prefect two months before he could find his feet. This means that it took the prefect two months before he
A. knew everybody B. became confident C. won a prize
D. became popular