Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one which is nearest in meaning to the underlined word in
11. The house by the sea has been abandoned.
A. deserted B. destroyed C. infested D. robbed
12. Most Ghanaians were optimistic about the Black Stars winning the African Cup.
13. The indigenous people provided the labour during the building of the school.
14. The effort of the watchman which led to the arrest of the thieves was laudable.
15. Our parents deserve our appreciation.
A. assistance B. gratitude C. concern
In each of the following sentences a group of words has been underlined. Choose from the alternatives lettered
A to D the one that best explains the underlined words.
16. Mr. Taiwoo took the clerk to task for losing the letters. This means that Mr. Taiwoo
A. sacked the clerk
B. blamed the clerk
C. called the clerk a criminal
D. gave the clerk another work
17. The quarrel got out of hand. This means that the quarrel
A. became uncontrollable
B. was prolonged C. became boring D. was unhealthy
18. On seeing the headmaster, the girl took to her heels. This means that the girl
B. felt frightened
C. ran away
D. hid herself
19. Joseph lives withi n a stone‟s throw from the station. This means that Joseph
A. lives in a stony house
B. lives very close to the station
C. goes to the station
D. often throw‟s stones at the station
20. All his plans for building a new theatre came to nought. This means that
A. the theatre was built
B. his plans were unsuccessful
C. the building collapsed
D. there was nothing in the theatre